Monday, September 19, 2011

How do 1000+ page sites update their main links on every page?

I'm a student starting up a website that will eventually have hundreds of pages. However, how would I add a new link months from now?



For example, lets say the site will have these links on every page:

Images. Blog. Contact.



But in a few months, I create a new section called Videos. Now I want to add that 'Videos%26quot; link to all the pages. But there are hundreds of pages, how do professionals handle this?



On my old personal pages, I used to just add/change links on all pages but those wouldnt have hundreds of pages. So is there a way to update all links on all pages at once is what I'm asking.



I'm using Dreamweaver CS3.How do 1000+ page sites update their main links on every page?If you're using Dreamweaver, you can create templates. Then when you need to add a link, just edit the template and all pages using that template will be updated.



I use javascript menus. They're easy to write. I write mine and call it in the html code, that way you only have to update the external javascript file then ever page that you used it on is updated automatically.



Hope this helps. Good luckHow do 1000+ page sites update their main links on every page?You could have the site dynamically generate pages from a database, in which case you'd only have to change one or two template pages to change the whole site. This would be the easiest method and the method that just about every big site uses. Try looking into PHP/MySQL. This is a very popular pairing of web technologies that is fairly easy to use.



I am not sure on this, but I think Dreamweaver may have some form of support for databases built in, you'd have to look that up.How do 1000+ page sites update their main links on every page?Your site should be composed of templates, e.g. template of header, of menu to the left side, etc.

Template support is available in many web-scripting platforms: Java, Perl, PHP, ASP, etc.



If you don't want to make any dynamic scripting support for your site, you can do something similiar with HTML frames. But it'll be difficult to get a nice look. See HTML tutorial on frames.



Another option is to pregenerate/edit the website files with an offline script to produce a bunch of static pages.