Monday, September 19, 2011

How do I open a new link in a maximized window in IE8?

Every time I open a new window from a LINK in Internet explorer 8, it opens in a box about 1/3 minimized. I'd like it maximized every time. It used to operate this way. I'm running Vista Home Premium.



I've tried all the suggestions I've found here and in Help, but they are at best temporary fixes. I posted the question before, but I don't think the people who responded read the question fully. THESE DON'T WORK after I RESTART THE PROGRAM:

* Change the window size and restart the program.

* Hold the SHIFT key while closing the program.

* Right click program from START and change window Run size from PROPERTIES

* F11

* Restore defaults



Maybe I am being stupid and need simpler directions. But before answering any of the above suggestions, please try it yourself (i.e. open new link, change to new window size, close ie8, open ie8, open a link in a new window, confirm the window size is changed).



I'll appreciate your help if you can help solve this. Thnx.How do I open a new link in a maximized window in IE8?Here is the fix:



1. Open IE 8 in your FIRST window and click on a link that opens in a new SECOND window.



2. Close the FIRST window leaving your smaller window open.



3. Drag the SECOND window to whatever size you want. The keyword there being DRAG.



4. Now close the SECOND window.



5. Open IE 8 again from a shortcut on your desktop or the quick launch section of the task bar.



Your problem should be fixed now.



And a note to these other %26quot;geniuses%26quot;: If you don't know the answer, do not try to reply. I'm sick of these guys trying sell you on Firefox, Chrome, etc. That was not his question to begin with.How do I open a new link in a maximized window in IE8?I wouldn't use IE8 to be honest. I remember an older version doing maximized windows, but that was just because it didn't have tabs. Go download google chrome and you will be happy. It is faster and easier to use than IE8, and it is of course free.



http://www.google.com/chrome





If you want something more customizable, get Mozilla Firefox:



http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fir





I think browsers did away with the open window maximized because of the confusion it can make for the user. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.